Tuesday, May 20, 2008

85 sign up for marathon training!

Yesterday (Monday) we had the 1st sign up for the Newbies group, a training program for those wanting to get ready for the Tulsa Run, a half marathon, or a full 26.2. An amazing 85 people showed up to register for our group. The store was jam packed. This blogger was truly amazed.
Our training group meets at 5:30 Tuesday nights at 68th and Riverside, and Thursday night at the store, also at 5:30. I am excited to meet all the new folks, and Kathy, Brian, and I want to applaud you for taking the 1st step towards enhancing your life with running and fitness.

I'd like to say that the old saying "The journey of 1000 miles begins with a single step" applies here. Those of you who are new to running, or new to walking-for-fitness will start your journey with that first step. We want you to start slow, not biting off more than you should at first. So many new runners make the mistake of going out the 1st time, running 2 or 3 miles at a brisk pace, and then are so sore for the next week they never give it another chance.
Believe me, I did just that some 30 years ago and never ran a step until 25 years later. In 2002, I began walking for fitness, and eventually began taking a few short runs during my 3 mile walks. Soon, as my fitness improved, I was able to do 3 miles mostly running, and later, I entered a 5K. I went from couch potato to 5K runner in about 3 months. Along the way, walking-for-fitness and running was always FUN! And it still is today.

We want to get to know all of you, help you reach your goals, and have some fun along the way. This blog will document our journey. If you are opposed to having your picture used, just tell the crazy dude with the camera. Also, be patient with him when he asks your name for the 3rd or 4th time. He has short term memory loss problems, as well as a few other mental issues, including cross-dressing. GOOD GRIEF, KEN! STAY AWAY FROM THE WOMEN'S CLOTHING!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! 75 people signed up and more to come on Thursday I'm sure. That is great. Word is finally getting around that Runners World has the best training programs and leaders around. Can't wait to meet everybody.

Anonymous said...

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooh that's ain't right.

Christal Pellerin said...

I'm also excited. I've been running with the "newbies" and decided to convert. Time to start picking up the mileage!

RunnersWorld-Tulsa said...

Christal,
Glad to have you. And contrary to popular rumor, you do not have to kiss the dog as part of your initiation!

M B

Anonymous said...

Looking pretty in pink Ken.

What a turnout.

Great to see so many new faces.